Friday, March 2, 2012

Crockpot Bison Roast

I saw a bison roast like this in the oddest place - the produce section of the commissary! I just had to get one and try it out. It was a big hit!

I needed a crockpot meal for Bible study Wednesday night, so in the morning I browned the roast on all sides in a medium hot pan in canola oil, then placed it in a crockpot set to low. I turned the pan to medium heat and deglazed it with a cup of red wine. Next I added a tablespoon of beef base, a cup of water, fresh thyme leaves, and 4 cloves of garlic, crushed. I let it reduce by about half, while stirring up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan from the roast. Then I added this to the crockpot.

Next, I roughly chopped a whole yellow onion (I like large pieces of onion in a dish like this) and added it to the crockpot. Then, I washed and halved a small bag of baby yukon gold potatoes and added them. I seasoned the vegetables with salt and pepper and let it cook on low for 6 hours.

I removed the roast from the crockpot to a cutting board and sliced it, then stirred it back into the sauce and vegetables. I turned the crockpot to the warm setting for about 20 minutes while waiting for my guests to arrive. In the meantime I made some roasted asparagus to serve alongside.

All our guest raved about it - including the kids! In fact, they ate every last scrap of meat and I was left with some sauce and a few vegetables. Nothing for a picture even! Oh well, I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment