Sunday, May 30, 2010

Foil Packet Chicken

Now that summer is coming around again, I've been trying to plan more meals on the grill to avoid using the oven and keep the house cool. I was looking around for some more chicken recipes to add to my menu and round out the usual ribs, steaks, and other meats that we tend to grill most often. I finally remembered making packets of chicken in foil, with vegetables and sauce, that were always really good. I searched around the internet for recipes, and didn't really like any of them well enough to try, so I decided to wing it and make my own.

I laid out a large square of foil and sprayed it with cooking spray, then laid a boneless, skinless chicken breast on it. I spread the chicken breast with a crushed clove of garlic, then seasoned with salt, pepper, and Essence of Emeril. I topped the chicken with 4-5 thin slices of red onion and about 4-5 sliced mushrooms. On top of that I put about a tablespoon of butter, then about 1/4 cup of sauce.


The sauce I made with about 1/4 cup canola oil, about 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, about 1/3 cup lemon juice, and about a teaspoon each of red pepper flakes and dried thyme. Fresh would have been better, but my thyme plant died last month.

I planned to grill the packets for about 20 minutes on a covered grill on medium heat, but a thunderstorm was coming through the area at the time, so I did end up using my oven. I cooked the packets at 400F for about 25 minutes.


They are not beautiful, but boy were they delicious! I was late getting dinner ready, so skipped making rice, but I wish I had made some to soak up all that wonderful sauce - that would have been perfect. This recipe is definitely going into my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment